Ah, the iconic brown sugar milk tea. It’s a sickeningly sweet milk tea that’s finished off with a good amount of brown sugar syrup. Malaysians can line up for hours just to get their hands on one.
But we all know that the price for a brown sugar milk tea is not cheap! The average price for a brown sugar milk tea now is about RM15 for a modest sized cup. What if we tell you that it’s possible to make your own brown sugar milk tea beverage at home that could rival places like Xin Fu Tang and Daboba?
Here’s what you’ll need:
For the pearls
– 1 cup of Boiling Water
– 2 cups of brown Sugar
– 1 cup of Tapioca Starch perals
For the milk tea:
– 2 cups water (480g)
– 6 black tea bags
– 1 cup of milk (preferably whole milk)
– 1 electric frothier
1. Combine the water and tea bags over medium heat in a pot.
2. Bring to a boil, then remove the pan from the heat and let the tea cool to room temperature.
3. Bring a medium pot of water to boil over high heat. Once the water is boiling, proceed to add the tapioca pearls and boil until softened (roughly 20 minutes)
4. Drain the pearls through a strainer and set aside.
5. Add the brown sugar to the strainer and pour the hot water over.
6. Stir to dissolve the brown sugar. Soak the pearls in brown sugar syrup for 30 minutes then store the bubbles and syrup separately until ready to serve.
7. In a separate cup, use an electric frothier to froth the milk until desired consistency.
8. In your serving cup, add the brown sugar syrup around the edges of the inside then add your pearls, tea and lastly followed by your milk.
9. Stir with a wide-opening straw and serve!