In Malaysia, we’ve always been taught that Carbonara should be cooked with cream. Heck, if you go to a normal ‘western’ restaurant, and sadly even a few so-called commercial Italian restaurants, they’d serve you Carbonara that has been cooked with cream. As much as this is wrong, sadly it’s a norm in Malaysia.
Recently, a video tweet of a Malaysian showing others how to prepare a Carbonara went viral for the wrong reasons. So, today we’re going to show you the real way to make Carbonara, and it’s easy!
First you need:
- 1 Tbsp olive oil or butter
- 5 strips of beef bacon
- 3-4 whole eggs
- 1 cup grated parmesan
- 1 pound spaghetti pasta
- Salt and black pepper
- Boil the Pasta: Boil the pasta in a pot with salt.
- Sauté beef bacon: While the water is still boiling, heat olive oil or butter on a pan over medium heat. Add the beef bacon strips and fry them until they’re crispy.
- Beat eggs and half of the cheese: In a small bowl, beat the eggs and mix in about half of the cheese.
- Mix the pasta, beef bacon and eggs/cheese mixture in a bowl: This is when you realize that it’s really simple. You mix the pasta, beef bacon and eggs/cheese mixture in one bowl – and kaboom! A bowl of authentic italian Carbonara.
The creaminess comes from the mixture of the eggs and the parmesan. Want it to taste even creamier? Add a bit more cheese — or even better, purchase a higher grade parmesan the next time you’re at the supermarket. Try this at home, and tell us what you think!